REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL NURSE JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Summary: The Pediatric Medical Surgical RN is responsible for managing the care of the infant, toddler, preschool, school age or adolescent patient experiencing general medical conditions or surgical procedures that require general assessments related to specific conditions, and general therapies and interventions. The Pediatric Medical Surgical RN is responsible to the Clinical Manager for assigned Pediatric Medical Surgical Unit. Qualifications: • Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
• Current licensure in good standing in the state of practice
• Evidence of 1 year of pediatric medical surgical nursing experience within the past two years
• Evidence of BLS credential mandatory
• Additionally, the RN may have professional certifications, including but not limited to CPN, RNBC-
Responsibilities • Conducts an individualized patient assessment, prioritizing the data collection based on the infant,
toddler, preschool, school age or adolescent patient’s immediate condition or needs within timeframe specified by client facility’s policies, procedures or protocols.
• Conducts ongoing assessments as determined by the infant, toddler, preschool, school-age or
adolescent patient’s condition and/or the client facility’s policies, procedures or protocols and reprioritizes care accordingly.
• Develops plan of care that is individualized for the infant, toddler, preschool, school age or adolescent
patient reflecting collaboration with other members of the healthcare team.
• Performs appropriate treatments as ordered by physician in an accurate and timely manner.
• Performs therapeutic nursing interventions as established by individualized plan of care for the infant,
toddler, preschool, school age or adolescent patient and his/her family.
• Provides individualized patient/family education customized to the infant, toddler, preschool, school
age or adolescent patient and his/her family.
• Documents patient assessment findings, physical/psychosocial responses to nursing intervention and
• Initiates emergency resuscitative measures according to pediatric resuscitation protocols.
• Maintains confidentiality in matters related to patient, family and client facility staff.
• Provides care in a non-judgmental, non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to the infant, toddler,
preschool, school-age or adolescent patient’s and family’s diversity, preserving their autonomy, dignity and rights.
• Reports patient condition to appropriate personnel during each shift.
• Maintains current competency in pediatric medical surgical nursing. RN Name: ______________________________________________________________ RN Signature: __________________________________ Date: _________________
2005 FASTAFF® Page 1 of 5 Revised 3/4/03
Instructions: Please check the appropriate column that best describes your experience level for each knowledge competency and skill. Choose 1 for Limited Experience through 4 for Very Experienced. Evaluate yourself based on experiences within the last two years. Self-Assessed Experience Rating Scale ASSESSMENT & CARE OF PATIENT W/ OR REQUIRING: 2005 FASTAFF® Page 2 of 5 Revised 3/4/03
Self-Assessed Experience Rating Scale
Intestinal Tract Tubes, Placement Cont’d
Self-Assessed Experience Rating Scale PAIN MANAGEMENT EQUIPMENT MEDICATIONS
Age Appropriate Nursing Care
Please check the appropriate box(es) for each age group and activity for which you have had experience within the last year.
Age Specific Experiences
1. Understands the normal growth and development
for each age group and adapts care accordingly
2. Understands the different communication needs
for each age group and changes communication
3. Understands the different safety risks for each
age group and alters the environment accordingly
4. Understands the different medications, dosages
and possible side effects for each age group and
The information I have provided in this knowledge and skills checklist is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Confirmed School Shootings Related to Pharmaceuticals, 1998-2012 Source: Citizens Commission on Human Rights International 1. Newtown, Connecticut – December 14, 2012: 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed 20 children and 6 adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Family members say Lanza was taking psychotropic drugs for a personality disorder, although no one has confirmed the sp
In the Market Garden at the UCD Student Farm we operate a community supported agriculture system (CSA), which provides a basket full of fruits and vegetables to 65 on-campus subscribers for approximately 46 weeks of the year. Our CSA serves three purposes. First, it provides a mechanism for educating students about a wide variety of vegetables in an experiential learning setting. Secondly, it